Les Plats du Chef French Onion Soup

This delicious soup is unbelievably hearty. Though it only has 250 calories per serving (1 frozen sealed bag), you may want to split it. I usually serve it with French or Italian bread, and it makes a filling meal. It is close to what you’d receive in a restaurant. Don’t even think about salting it–it’s one of the saltiest things I’ve ever eaten (870 mg of sodium).

There are two methods to cook it, but, trust me, do not microwave it. The best way is to cook it in an oven for at least 40 minutes (400 degrees). I usually cook it 48 minutes and then broil it for the last two minutes because I like the cheese bubbly, golden, and baked on the sides of the ramekin. Be careful–when it comes out of the oven, it is hotter than Hades.

I’ve bought the soup at Costco during late fall/early winter. According to the website, it’s technically sold at Costco from November through March.

Five out of five stars http://www.platsduchef.com/english/menu.htm

NOTE: Did you buy the French Onion soup at Costco? And then go home, remove all six soups from the box so they’d fit better in the freezer, and throw away the box? And now you’re online, looking for the cooking instructions? Here they are:

img009

You’re welcome.

This entry was posted in Vegetarian Food Reviews. Bookmark the permalink.

48 Responses to Les Plats du Chef French Onion Soup

1. Vera Jones says:

i would like to know where I can buy this soup..they carried it at Costco for a little while but they no longer have it. is there some place that I can purchase this wonderful soup?…. thank you

2. Lynn Kear says:

I just got back from Costco, and they have lots of the French Onion soup. It is $9.99 – $2.50 instant coupon. I don’t remember seeing it in the latest sale flyer, but it’s definitely on sale now.

3. T.G. says:

Lynn Kear…thank you SO MUCH for posting the Cooking Instructions – I knew a smart individual would’ve done it! 🙂

4. Molly Deardorff says:

Ha ha! Thank you – you saved me!

5. Ella says:

Thanks so much for the cooking instructions. I did exactly what you said about storing it in the freezer, put the cooking directions SOMEWHERE, and then couldn’t find them……..so much for planning…..

• Lynn Kear says:

You’re welcome, Ella. I did it a few times myself and decided to make everyone’s life a little easier. I’ve even cut out the instructions and put them in the freezer…but then I forget I did this and end up going to my site to find the instructions.

6. Rocco says:

I did exactly that! Threw away the box so they would fit and am very thankful that you’ve posted the directions. Thank you so much!

7. andrea says:

Its discontinued at costco so probably no longer in business? I’m so sad. I live off this stuff!

8. wmartin says:

I did the same thing, threw away the box!!! You are awesome, thank you

9. emifriend says:

I think I purchased it at Trader Joes. It is exactly the same as the Costco one but sold in boxes of 4 soups with Trader Joes brand.

So glad I am in such good company of people looking for the cooking instructions! Somehow, I think I have saved everything else on earth in case I need it someday but the instructions to this soup 🙂

10. D. Mann says:

Costco tells me they have discontinued this soup. I am trying to find where to order direct

• Lynn Kear says:

I was at the Perimeter Costco (Peachtree-Dunwoody Road) in the Atlanta area on Thursday (December 4), and they still had a pretty good supply in the frozen case. I really hope they don’t discontinue it here.

11. peyji says:

I did throw away the box to make room in the freezer. LOL. So thank you!

12. Vicki says:

I’m in Texas and I cant find the soup in our Costco anymore. I want to see where I can get it in Texas. If all else fails, I will order direct if that is possible.

13. casbah3d says:

Just bought this in Chicago a couple weeks ago. Thank you, I threw the box away and you saved my soup!!!

14. fiddlestix says:

Thank you for posting this – I did exactly what you said with the box, ha ha! Broiled to brown the cheese – good stuff.

15. Gary H says:

Thank you! That’s exactly what I did.. Thew the box away and needed the directions. I bought it months ago and am trying to have it for lunch now :).

16. michelle says:

It’s an ok soup, but it simply fails next to Trader Joe’s French onion soup.

17. Nancy Hardman says:

Love the soup. I had it last week at a friends in California. Now I’m trying to find where to buy some in Salt Lake City.

18. Josh says:

I just bought this soup and forgot to put it in the freezer. I now have six bags of liquid. Are they still usable? It’s only been a couple of days since it’s defrosted. I guess the cheese and stuff in the soup will no longer be on the top but can I still heat it and eat it safely?

• Lynn Kear says:

Was the soup in the fridge? If so, it should be okay, though you may want to check with the manufacturer to be sure.

• Josh says:

It was in fridge the whole time. I reached out to the manufacturer and as expected they told me they can’t guarantee the quality and to discard it…however I am led to believe that is in their best interest to protect themselves from any legal ramifications.

19. kathleen wolstone says:

i can’t find this soup anywhere in michigan, anyone have any clues.

20. Mauimom says:

Anyone know how long these last in freezer?

21. Samantha Brown says:

Any one find them in Maryland? Costco has been saying they do not sell them any more!

22. Bronte Felter says:

Big disappointment! Looking for something near real French onion soup and found nothing like that here. Pretty bland, onions and croutons very mushy. I won’t go on and…..I won’t ever buy this product again! (Carton code: 2176 08:51)

23. teresa says:

why not subscribe to their newsletter? Then you might know when it will be at Costco! Quit whining, people! I found this in my freezer while looking for ANYTHING to go with my flounder. Didn’t have a clue how it got there. (my mom probably 🙂 )
    Saved my life. It is a very good substitute for our favorite French restaurant version. who cares? my husband loved it!